Travel with Confidence Hub  - Read more

Travel Advice

Passports & Visas

You are responsible for ensuring that your passport and other documents are as required by the country you are visiting. You must ensure that you are in possession of a full 10-year passport valid for the duration of your holiday. If you do not have a British passport please check with your own consulate or embassy regarding entry requirements for the country you are travelling to. Please note:  Family passports have been abolished. Any child not already on a passport must now have their own. Children included on a passport before 5.10.98 may continue until:

  • The child reaches 16 or
  • The passport on which the child is included expires or
  • The passport on which the child is included is amended or a new one issued.

Travelling to Europe

For further information, please call or visit:

French Embassy
Tel: 020 7073 1200

Austrian Embassy
Tel: 020 7344 3250

Swiss Embassy
Tel: 020 7616 6000

Foreign & Commonwealth Office London
Tel: 020 7008 1500

Travelling to USA & Canada

At the time of going to print, British citizens do not generally need a visa for the USA provided that they are travelling on a full, valid, machine-readable passport for a stay of up to 90 days if entering the country on an airline that is a participant in the visa waiver programme (at the time of going to print all our carriers are participants). Passports issued between October 2005 and October 2006 must also have a digital photograph. The visitor needs to be in possession of a valid onward or return ticket to a destination outside the USA and must complete a Visa Waiver form which they are provided with on all our scheduled flight services. British subjects (as opposed to British citizens), those without machine-readable passports and most other travellers require a visa. Visitors should make their own enquiries as individual cases differ. The US government no longer issues indefinite visas and have changed the regulations invalidating these after 10 years.  Please visit the website or contact the US Embassy for the most up to date information.

eTA Form – Canada

As of March 2016 travellers to Canada will need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) before they board a flight to Canada.

The eTA is a new entry requirement for foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air in the visa waiver programme. The requirement will allow Canadian authorities to screen travellers before they arrive. The authorisation is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for 5 years or until your passport expires.

Applying is a simple and quick online process and costs $7CAD. In order to apply you will need a valid passport, a credit card and an email address. The application form will be available on the government of Canada website from 1st August 2015 (

Please note that possession of a visa or meeting the requirements of the visa waiver programme including registration with ESTA OR eTA does not guarantee admission to the United States or Canada. As with most countries the final decision is made by immigration officials at the point of entry.

Please visit the website or contact the Canadian High Commission for the most up to date information.

If you need to apply for a passport or renew one, please do so well in advance. If you need to contact the passport agency please visit

Visa Waiver Programme

Effective 12th January 2009, all passengers travelling to the United States without a US visa under the terms of the visa waiver programme must obtain pre-authorisation vie the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA). Applications can be submitted at any time but no later than 72 hours prior to travel. Failure to do so could result in you being refused boarding and travel. Authorisation is valid for 2 years.

For more information and to complete the form go to

If you hold a passport for any other country, then please contact the US Embassy and confirm if a visa is required.

Please also note that to enter the United States you must have a machine readable passport. Please check that your passport has a barcode on the holders’ details page (with the photograph). The old-style black British passport does not have this barcode and you will need to replace this.

Please note that if you have a criminal record, please check with the US Embassy.

For the most up-to-date information, please call:

US Embassy 
Main Switchboard 0207 499 9000 –

Canadian Embassy 
0207 004

Foreign & Commonwealth Office (London)
020 7008 1500 -

Know Before You Go

We constantly work with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to do all that we can to help British travellers stay safe overseas.
If you're planning a winter sports holiday abroad, follow the FCO's Travel Advice and #SkiSafe campaign, including things to do before you go and staying safe in-resort.
You can also check the main FCO website for latest travel updates:
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice Unit may have issued information about your holiday destination. You are advised to check this information on the internet: or on 020 7238 4503/4504. Alternatively you can call ABTA on 0203 117 0599.

Special Offers

Independent Ski Chalets

Beautiful ski chalets that'll take your self-catered experience to the next level

Find out more

Half Term Ski Deals

Get even more out of your February ski holiday with our Half Term ski deals

Find out more

Save money when booking a ski hotel holiday as a group

Book a group of four or more in a selected hotel and receive an additional discount of £100 or more when using code HOTELGROUP21

Find out more