Our Brexit Guarantee

Impact of Brexit on Ski Companies 

We love diversity and debate. We have plenty of that at Skiworld and long may it continue! And of course we appreciate that many of our customers will have voted to leave the EU. We respect their opinions.

We also know that travel businesses such as ours will be substantially changed by leaving the EU. We are a dynamic company and we will of course step up and change what we need to. One of the changes we can already see coming is a reduction in the number of opportunities we are able to give to hundreds of young British citizens to work in the EU. These opportunities have for some turned into lifelong careers in not just the holiday industry but often in hospitality in the UK. For others, it has been their first significant job with training and responsibility and that opportunity has provided a springboard to other rewarding careers.

There are currently estimated to be 25,000 people working in our sector in the EU. We would rather not see these opportunities lost, or at best reduced, and so, in truth, we would rather stay in the EU. 

Brexit Guarantee

We understand that our guests who have booked to travel, as well as those looking to book, may have some questions over the recent EU Referendum result, and how it could affect their ski holiday. 

We are all aware that details of our departure from the EU are still to be finalised. So, we understand that you might feel the need to know where you stand if you are booking a holiday to Europe after the end of March.

As things stand at the moment, the good news is that whilst protocols for car insurance, data roaming and pet travel may be still uncertain, there are many things which are either unchanged or clear already.

Flights will still operate. Visas or ESTA-type arrangements for UK nationals are not needed (not until at least 2021 we understand). You do need, however, to check that your passport is valid for 6 months after your planned date of arrival in the EU.

In the event of illness or injury whilst away, you will be covered as long as you have the appropriate travel insurance.

What is important to remember is that you are booking with Skiworld – a full member of ABTA (the Association of British Travel Agents), holding CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) License number 2036 and you are protected by the Package Travel Regulations. So, in the very unlikely event that we are unable to operate your holiday, you will not lose the money you have paid to us and will be refunded in full.

We just wanted you to know that whatever the politics, your holiday is in safe hands.

ABTA Advice

Many people are already booking their travel plans for 2019-2020, and have questions about what might happen after the UK leaves the European Union (EU). The political process is still ongoing and we don't yet know the final outcome, however there have been some reassurances recently around flights and visas and these are reflected in our frequently asked questions.

We have also identified actions travellers may wish to take in advance to help avoid unnecessary future disruption in the event of a no-deal scenario.

Will flights still operate?

UK citizens can be reassured that regardless of the Brexit outcome planes will still fly between the UK and the EU: if a deal is agreed then we will be in a transition period, meaning everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal. Even if we are in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has said that UK airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU. The UK government has offered similar assurances for EU airlines.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

You shouldn’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission announced in November 2018 that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers can still visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK. The European Commission has said that from 2021, UK citizens will need to pay a fee (of around 7 Euros) for this visa exemption. This is part of a new electronic travel authorisation system applying to all third country visitors to the EU, similar to the US ESTA regime.

What happens if I book to travel after Brexit and my holiday cannot go ahead?

There is nothing to suggest that you will not be able to continue with your holiday plans after Brexit. Even in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has said flights to and from the UK will still be able to operate. Customers who book a package holiday with a UK travel company enjoy the most comprehensive consumer protection: if you book a package, your holiday will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, meaning you have a right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided.

Advice for travellers

This information only covers areas where you can take reasonable action or put plans into place now. Areas where the situation is still unclear are not included, but the information will be updated once clarified.


Check the date your passport expires. When travelling to the EU after Brexit, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival to an EU country. You should also check when your passport was renewed. If you renewed a 10 year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your passport’s expiry date. These extra months over 10 years will not count towards the 6 months that must be remaining. The UK Government has published a website tool to check the validity of your passport under these rules.
You can renew your passport online or by going to a Post Office with a Check and Send service.
You may wish to renew your passport sooner rather than later, in order to make sure you have it in time for your holiday or travel plans.
Full details on renewing your passport can be found here.

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid. ABTA has always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to EHIC. When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure.
Advice on travel insurance can be found here.

Driving licences

As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This is likely to change in a no-deal scenario. UK travellers looking to drive in the EU on or after Brexit may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit.
These cost £5.50 and are available directly from the AA, the RAC or the Post Office. The Government is working to extend the network of Post Offices where you can apply for an International Driving Permit, and has plans to roll these out in more branches across the UK from 1 February 2019.
Check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within, as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law.
More information is available here.

Green cards for car insurance

If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens driving their vehicle within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for your UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU. These cards would be issued by insurers and you may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs. Speak with your insurer for more information on obtaining a Green Card for any trip on or after Brexit.

Data roaming

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. If the UK leaves without a deal these rules will no longer apply – however, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before you travel, check with your mobile phone provider about the costs of using your phone in the EU.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has updated the travel advice for all European and EEA countries with information and advice for British Nationals travelling to or living in an EU country. We recommend that you read the advice for the country you will visiting.
Recently updated sections include the Entry requirements (Visas).
Austria:                 https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria
France:                 https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
Italy:                      https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
We also recommend you read ABTA’s Brexit: Advice for travellers.

If you'd like to speak to one of our Ski Specialists, please call us on 0330 102 8004.

Special Offers

January 2020 Ski Deals

Find your perfect ski holiday deal for January 2020 before someone else does!

Find out more

Save on Europe Ski Apartments

Save on our Europe ski apartments in the 2018-2019 season

Find out more

See last minute deals for New Year

Find out more