Europe: Pre-Departure Information - Be Prepared

<< Back to main menu


Ski Holiday Insurance

You must be insured to cover all important elements of your holiday.  Skiworld introduce you to MPI Brokers.  Please see our Winter Sports Insurance page for more information.

As with any holiday, it is important not simply to make sure you have insurance, but to ensure that this insurance covers every aspect of your holiday. A ski holiday includes many elements other holidays do not, such as hiring equipment, the need for mountain rescue and the fact that lack of snow or very bad weather could bring your holiday to a halt.

You must make sure that the policy you choose covers you for these important elements and it is a condition of booking that your insurance is of at least the same level as that offered by companies such as MPI Brokers. You could otherwise find yourself inadequately insured for your holiday.

As a general rule, insurance companies will only pay out claims once you are back in the UK. This depends on sufficient evidence such as police reports in the case of theft and hospital or doctors’ bills in case of any medical claim.

More on Winter Sports Insurance...

Money Matters

Our staff will either travel with you to your resort or meet you soon after you arrive. If you have not pre-booked they will organise your lift pass, ski school and ski hire for you and are able to take payment by credit card in resort in Euros for all of the above. There is a €2 charge for all card transactions made on the transfer or in resort. We accept travellers' cheques, Visa and MasterCard (not American Express or Switch).

Money mattersCash Points

Many cash points will accept UK cash point cards (please check with your bank) as well as credit cards. You may need a PIN for such transactions.

Credit Cards

Visa & Mastercard are widely accepted by shops and restaurants.

Tourist Tax

In France, Austria & Switzerland, a small government tourist tax is payable on entry into the resort.

This is NOT included in your holiday price, so please have approximately £10 per person per week in Euros, local currency or on your credit card if purchasing other ski pack items. If staying in a chalet your Resort Representative will collect this - it can be added to the credit card bill for your ski packs. If staying in a hotel or self-catering apartment you will need to pay this directly to the hotel or agency on arrival.

We do not include this tax in the price of your holiday as the tourist authorities rarely confirm the actual amount prior to the calculation of costs for our brochure. Rather than cost in a higher amount to allow for possible currency fluctuations, we prefer to charge exactly the amount the authorities require. The tourist tax will differ if you are staying in a hotel depending on the hotel’s star rating (usually between £5.00 and £10.00 per person per week).

Passports and Visas

Please note that UK travellers must hold a full 10-year British passport, which is valid at least until after your holiday return date.  Children aged 16 and over must have their own passport. Infants who do not have their own passports need to be stamped on one of their parent’s passports. It is your responsibility to make sure your travel documents are in order. For further information, please call or visit:

French Embassy
Tel: 020 7073 1200

Austrian Embassy
Tel: 020 7344 3250

Swiss Embassy
Tel: 020 7616 6000

Foreign & Commonwealth Office London
Tel: 020 7008 1500

Get fit for ski

Whether you’re an experienced skier or a complete beginner, everyone knows that skiing is a very active sport and like all forms of exercise you should prepare your body for a week of exercise.

The ABTA Destination Services team have produced some ski related guidance and tips so you can find out how to have a safe and healthy holiday in the snow and how you can get fit for skiing!

Have a gander and give some of the exercises a go and get the most out of your week away in the snow!

<< Back to main menu