Whistler, in British Columbia, Canada opened its slopes in 1966 and is consistently ranked as the number one ski resort in North America. Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics and legendary due to its epic terrain, it’s one of those places that is on every skier’s bucket-list.
- Ski area: 8,171 acres of skiable terrain across the two mountains
- Highest lift: 7th Heaven chair on Blackcomb reaches 2240 metres
- Average Snowfall: 11.7 metres per year
- 200+ marked ski trails, 3 glaciers and 16 alpine bowls
- Longest trail: Peak to Creek (Whistler) and Green Road (Blackcomb), both 11km long
- Ski season: North America’s longest, running from late November until late April
- Whistler Mountain, formerly known as London Mountain, changed its name in 1965, inspired by the whistling sound of the Hoary Marmots that greeted summer hikers
- Due to Whistler’s coastal proximity, temperatures are moderate through the winter season, rarely dropping below -10C in the village and -15C on the slopes
- Whistler hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics and the legacy of the games still lives on. The ‘Dave Murray Downhill’ trail, named after the legendary Canadian ski racer, is an epic downhill course, that hosted numerous World Cup races in the games. It’s widely considered one of the best downhill courses in the world and definitely one to tackle if you have a need for speed.
- Whistler’s record-breaking Peak 2 Peak gondola is the highest and longest supported cable car in the world. Wait for one of the silver gondolas which are glass-bottomed, for incredible views of the valley below, from a mind-boggling height of 436 metres.
- The Horstman Glacier on Blackcomb is open to skiers and boarders through the summer, so riders can practice their sport even in the hotter months.
- Whistler is well known for its many resident black bears, that can be seen during the summer months.
Why is it so good?
The Mountain – It is actually two mountains, Whistler and Blackcomb, linked by the famous PEAK 2 PEAK gondola, these mountains are home to 200+ marked trails. PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola traverses the almost 3-mile distance between the two peaks in 11 minutes. There are 37 other lifts.
Powder Mornings – Powder. Sweet, sweet, powder. Measured in metres, not centimetres, Whistler gets huge snow! Winter 2015-16 and 2016-17 both produced a whopping 12+ metres. Get a head start on the hill by purchasing a Fresh Tracks Mountain Top Breakfast ticket that gives you early access on Whistler Mountain so you can eat a full breakfast and get a few laps in before everyone else.
World-class Après – With its unique buzz and vibe, the Village Stroll is definitely where it’s at. There’s plenty of fun to be had, from shopping, dining, spas and art museums to activities such as ice skating over at the Olympic Plaza, tubing, snowmobiling, zip trekking and bungee jumping. Whistler Village has over 90 eateries and is home to some of the best chefs in the country.
Accommodation – Whistler (125km north of Vancouver) has a massive range of every type of accommodation from budget lodgings to high-end luxury. Popular properties include the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, the Four Seasons Resort Whistler and the Delta Whistler Village Suites.
Heli-ski Heaven – Perhaps the ultimate ski experience and more affordable than you might expect, Whistler Heli-skiing offer a great range of packages for intermediate skiers and above, giving access to virgin backcountry terrain, in an area 50 times the size of Whistler Blackcomb.
Whistler is Epic – Skiing at Whistler Blackcomb is now included in the Epic Season Pass, which offers unlimited skiing in 12 major resorts in North America, including Vail and Breckenridge.
Getting There is Easy – There are daily flights with BA and Air Canada from Heathrow to Vancouver, then a straightforward two-hour journey along the scenic Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler resort. And while you’re there, add a day or two in Vancouver at the start or end of your ski holiday.
Special 2017/18 Season Offer – £100pp OFF
For a limited time only! Book selected hotels in Whistler and Banff, for holidays in March or April 2018, (any duration 10 nights or more) and receive £100pp OFF!
Early Booking Offers for Canada 2018/19
Canada holidays for the 2018/19 season are now on sale! And what’s more, there are some amazing Early Booking Offers to take advantage of right now. See our blog to learn where the best Canada 2019 ski deals are to be found, or use the date filter to see all deals below.